Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Yo Gabba Gabba Plex Doll

My own contentment relies now on what makes my daughter happy and well adjusted rather than my own personal whims. I don't mind going to bed at 9:30 PM instead of 4AM. I even cook and eat 3 square meals a day instead of Easy Mac and Ramen Noodles. Things have just changed. But I love it and am completely grateful for it. However getting me to turn on PBS Sprout or Disney Jr over FX or Comedy Central has been a great adjustment. I honestly can't stand children's TV. What happened to the good kids shows like Fraggle Rock, Inspector Gadget or Danger Mouse?

Yo Gabba Gabba is my baby girl's very favorite show. We've seen every episode a million times, we know all the dances, all the lessons and obviously all the songs as well. I'm choosing this clip because it's a behind-the-scenes point of view of all the nuts-o people that create the episodes and the even more nuts-o people that star in them.


I actually really genuinely like Yo Gabba Gabba. It teaches my daughter good manners (wash your hands, share, it's ok to be different and to accept different people, take turns, don't bite your friends...) It has guest stars that I would watch anyway and bands that I don't necessarily love, but would hands down choose over Play With Me Sesame. Its Daytime Emmy nominated co-developers are a couple of local Orange County guys who were in a punk-rock band called the Aquabats, became fathers, were super disappointed with kids horrible choices of television shows so decided to start their own.
I don't blame them, I mean Caillou? Really? Anyone that knows me, knows my dislike for that show in particular is greater than the sky is wide. The Wiggles are unbearable to me, especially the red one. I can't handle Barney. Super Why drives me up the wall, and Dora the Explorer's map song makes me want to pull my hair out and throw myself down the stairs. That being said, it was a nice change to be referred to Yo Gabba Gabba where I can sit and watch with my daughter and not want to secretly be stabbing myself with a fork. Its guest stars are actors and actresses that I enjoy watching anyway, live band performances by groups like The Roots, The Shins, Weezer and The Postmarks. They even have Biz Markie with his own beat box segment and drawing lessons with Mark Motherbaugh from the group Devo.

Ok, anyway...

My kid loves the show. And so now I do too. On with the story.

Once upon a time, long long ago (last year) there was a baby girl named Kalynn who got a Foofa doll all to herself from her favorite show. But she was all alone.

Foofa: Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

And then for Christmas her wonderful Mima and Poppy sent Muno and Brobee from a land far far away (New York)

Muno, Foofa, and Brobee: Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

But still, they were missing someone. 

So that's where I stepped in. 

I suppose I could have bought a Plex doll, they range anywhere from $12.99-$49.99 but... that's not how I roll. I went out, spent $3 in felt, and made my own.

The project is super straight forward. I made it in one night. 


Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

The body, arms and legs were all done free hand. 
Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

Sew together on the sides, leave a whole open, stuff. Pretty easy. 

Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

This is Plex's dancey-dance
Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

Step by step instructions on how to make your own felt Plex doll from Yo Gabba Gabba www.thebrighterwriter.blogspot.com

We're still missing Toodee... hmmm... Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Ah!! I love your Plex, P-Plex, Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-Plex! We like "Yooooooooooo" as Max calls it but I have to limit it because he will want to watch it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again your creativity flows from you like water out of a fountain. Plex looks great and looks very happy to be added to the daily fun activities.

    ReplyDelete